Green Church Movement was initiated in India by Dr Mathew Koshy Punnackadu. He took initiative in forming an organization called Joint Ecological Commission with the Support of Catholic, Orthodox, Jacobite, Marthoma and CSI Churches. Joint Ecological Commission is the first ecological movement in Kerala Churches with the involvement of Catholic, Jacobite, Orthodox, Marthoma and CSI Churches. From 2012, the Joint Ecological Commission is working under Nilackal Trust.
The new name is Nilackal Trust Ecological Commission. Mar Mathew Arackal (Bishop of Catholic Church Kanjirappally Diocese) is the Chairman and Dr Mathew Koshy Punnackadu is the Secretary. The Nilackal Ecological Commission organized an International Ecological Conference in 2012.
He has edited and published Green Theology and Ecological Bible Studies for Kerala Churches. Church of South India (CSI) Synod nominated him as the member of Synod Ecological Concerns Committee in 2002. He served as the convener of that committee from 2007 to 2012 onwards.
He took initiative in Editing and publishing the following books: Reconciling with nature (English, Telugu, Tamil, Kannada, Malayalam), God is Green, Eco- mission and Vision, A Christian Response to Ecological crisis, Green Gospel and Earth Bible Sermons.
Programmes initiated are Green Parish Award, Ecological conventions, Environmental Rally, Rain Water Harvesting projects, Environmental day celebrations, Ecological Sunday, Plastic free campus, Eco- VBS training, massive Planting of trees, Eco- clubs in School, Eco bible study programmes, publishing of Eco-literatures, model vegetable garden and Eco- church architecture.
CSI Madhya Kerala Diocese
- Member, CSI MK Diocesan Executive Committee (1981-1984, 1984-1987, 2002-2005)
- Project Director, CSI Mission Hospital, Punnackadu, CBM Aided (1990-1993)
- Member, Church Committee, Punnacakadu (1981-1984,1984-1987, 1990-1993,2002-2005)
- Member CSI Diocesan Council (1981-1984, 1984-1987, 2002-2005)
- Member, Mission Board, CSI MK Diocese (1981-1984)
- Member, Youth Board, CSI MK Diocese (1981-1984)
- Member of the Management Board, Bishop Moore College, Mavelikara
- Member 125 Jubilee Celebrations Committee of CSI MKD
- Convener, CSI MK D Ecological Concerns Committee
- Chief Editor, Yuvalokam Magazine 1985-1992
- Secretary, Board of Ecological Concerns, CSI MK Diocese (2005-2008)
- General Convener, of International Ecological Conference held in Kerala from 3rd to 9th Feb 2008.
CSI Synod Level
- Member CSI Synod Ecological Concerns Committee (2002-2004, 2004-2006)
- Edited four Ecological Books, Reconciling with Nature, God is Green, Eco- Vision and Mission, A Christian Response to Ecological Crisis, Green Gospel for CSI Synod Ecological Concerns Committee. Reconciling with Nature has been translated to Tamil, Telugu, Kannada and Tamil.
- Coordinator of CSI Synod Kerala Regional Ecological Concerns Committee(2002-2004, 2004-2008)
- Member of Expert Committee of ecological affairs of CSI Synod
- Convener, CSI synod Ecological Concerns Committee, Chennai (from 2008 – 2012)
- Hon Director of Department of Ecological Concerns (2014 onwards)
Read details of his works in OIKOS News Bulletins
- Member, Kerala Council of Churches Executive Committee (1995-1998, 1998-2001, 2001-2004, 2004-2007, 2007-2010)
- Convenor, Commission of Communication of KCC (1995-2000)
- General Secretary, Joint Ecological Commission (2001- 2010 )
- Chief Editor Of New Vision magazine (1992 onwards)
- General Secretary of Christian Editors and Writers of Kerala.